DESCRIPTION OF THE INSTITUTION:
CIC energiGUNE is a research center specialized in energy, electrochemical storage (batteries and supercapacitors), thermal energy solutions and hydrogen, a member of the Basque Research and Technology Alliance- BRTA, and, a strategic initiative of the Basque Government. CIC energiGUNE was created in 2011 to generate excellent knowledge and at the same time useful for the Basque business network, being a reference in knowledge transfer.
CIC energiGUNE has a dynamic research team of more than 100 researchers and is extremely well equipped with a wide range of up-to-date facilities that are fully available for all its researchers. Also, the European Commission has recently awarded CIC energiGUNE with the ´HR Excellence in Research´ which reflects its commitment to achieving fair and transparent recruitment and appraisal procedures and certifies the existence of a stimulating and favorable work environment for researchers in the institution.
For more details on CIC energiGUNE's research activities please visit our website at http://www.cicenergigune.com
CIC energiGUNE is seeking an experienced/Senior engineer to work on the development and assembly of batteries with lithium metal electrodes.
- Provide technical direction and execution for the electrochemical testing and analysis of lithium-metal pouch cells to understand factors limiting lifetime and performance. Lead implementation of solutions.
- Define, validate, and optimize testing protocols like formation and application specific cell testing
- Deliver feedback to R&D industrialization team to guide material optimization which is aligned with customer specifications or final use requirements.
- Investigate battery or cells failure mechanisms and perform root cause analysis to create mitigation plans
- Contribute to cell engineering efforts informed by commercial specifications for high energy dense applications based on Lithium metal anode cells.
- Ensure safety documents are in place for experimental work related to Lithium metal handling and processing
- Contribute to the development of intellectual property towards industrialization.
WHAT WE OFFER:
We offer great development opportunities and integration in an enthusiastic and multidisciplinary young group with great projection.
Access to a complete set of existing laboratory infrastructure and equipment, as well as to the needs identified during the project development to ensure a fruitful stay and the fullfilment of the objectives in due time.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter and a detailed curriculum vitae at this website:
The selection process ends once the candidate is selected.
CIC energiGUNE is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.
- PhD Chemistry or Master Degree in Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical, Physics.
- At least 5 years of related engineering experience designing, fabricating, and testing electrochemical cells (pouch cell preferred)
- Deep understanding of electrochemistry, lithium-metal anodes, electrolytes (including salts and additives) and their SEI, protection layers and cathode materials.
- Familiar with advanced analytical techniques to support material optimization studies
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English (Spanish or Basque valuable but not compulsory).
- Demonstrated self-motivation and ability to work independently.
- A good team player who can collaborate with other groups, academic and industrial partners.
- Highly motivated to transfer technology to the industry.
- Knowledge of Safety Awareness.
- Experience in next fields is required:
- Lithium metal foil handling
- Development and processing of lithium metal electrodes and cells
- Roll to roll process / continuous processing
- Experience with Design of Experiments (DOE) methodology and/or statistical methods
- Experience in processing Li metal films from ingots will be valued