Design, synthesis and characterization of sustainable ionic liquids and ionic organic plastic crystals as phase change materials for energy storage at low temperature
CIC energiGUNE is seeking an experienced person to work in an ambitious and novel project which main goal will be to develop by rational design new and suitable ionic liquids (ILs) and organic ionic crystal plastics (OICPs) to be employed in the field of energy storage. Feedstocks such as, amino acids, sugars will be used in the synthesis of both room temperature ILs and IOPs to gain in sustainability. The prepared ILs and OICPs will be tested as phase change materials (PCMs) in thermal energy storage at low temperature for both domestic and industrial applications. Furthermore, a full testing and characterization of the obtained ionic materials will be performed to understand in deep the relationship between their composition/structure and their performance in the selected applications. The full characterization expected to allow “a la carte” design of these materials for a specific application.
Overall, this is a very challenging project since use of ILs as PCMs or OIPCs as PCMs is still at very initial stage. Therefore, the selected person must show the commitment, dedication and passion in facing new challenges.
- To rationally design new ILs and IOPCs for specific applications
- To synthesize the designed ILs and IOPCs
- To full characterize the ionic materials prepared
- To perform experimental validation of the ionic materials prepared
- To disseminate his/her research in conferences and journal papers
- To collaborate actively with other team members
- To generate new ideas within the frame of the topic
- To contribute to find out funding opportunities at EU level or related
What we offer:
We are offering a 36 months contract and advantageous professional development opportunities and a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. A prolongation of the contract for 24 additional months could be possible subjected to a positive performance assessment. Integration in an enthusiastic and multidisciplinary young group with great projection and commitments with sustainability and research quality.
The Fundación will also help smooth the transition for you and your family, providing a welcome program that offers accommodation and addresses other aspects to help you integrate into the local environment.
How to apply
All applicants are invited to submit through this website detailed curriculum vitae and 2 reference letters.
CIC energiGUNE is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its workforce.
- PhD in Organic/inorganic Chemistry or related fields
- Experience in ionic liquids design, synthesis and characterization
- Experience in bio-based feedstocks and sustainable chemistry
- Preferable, knowledge on phase change materials and batteries electrolytes
- Experience in characterization techniques such as NMR, TGA, DSC and related.
- A team player who can collaborate with other groups, technical centers, and industries.
- Very good verbal and written communication skills in English