What is a cookie?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through websites. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of many information society services. Among other things, they allow a site to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or his/her computer and, depending on the information obtained, they can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on the entity that manages the domain from which the cookies are sent and processes the data obtained, two types can be distinguished:
- Own cookies: those sent to the user´s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor himself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: those sent to the user´s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
If cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor himself, but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the length of time they remain stored in the client´s browser:
- Session Cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only relevant to the provision of the service requested by the user on one occasion (e.g., a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: the data is still stored on the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies according to the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
- Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist therein, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing parts of restricted access, remembering the elements that make up an order, carrying out the purchase process of an order, applying for registration or participation in an event, using security elements during navigation, storing content for the broadcasting of videos or sound or sharing content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: they allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined according to a series of criteria in the user´s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which he/she accesses the service, the regional configuration from which he/she accesses the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: they allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of the websites, application or platform and to create navigation profiles of the users of these sites, applications, and platforms, to introduce improvements based on the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: they allow the management, in the most efficient way, of advertising spaces.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: store information on user behavior obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, allowing the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
Disabling and Deleting Cookies
You can allow, block, or delete cookies installed on your computer by setting the options of the browser installed on your computer. By disabling cookies, some of the services available may no longer be operational. The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but it can usually be done from the Tools or Options menu. You can also check the Help menu of your browser, where you can find instructions. The user can, at any time, choose which cookies will work on this website.
You can allow, block, or delete the cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the browser installed on your computer:
Also, you can also manage the cookie store in your browser through tools such as:
The following identifies the cookies that are being used in this portal as well as their type and function:
- o Duration: 2 years
- o Description: Serves to distinguish users. Generated by Google Analytics. Google stores the information collected by cookies on servers located in the United States, complying with European legislation on the protection of personal data and undertakes not to share it with third parties, except where required by law or necessary for the operation of the system. Google does not associate your IP address with any other information it has. If you would like more information about the cookies used by Google Analytics, please access this address: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage?hl=es&csw=1
- Type: Third-party
- Purpose: Analytical
- Duration: When you log out
- Description: Cookie to ensure that users who write comments on the blog are human and not automated applications. This is to combat spam.
- Type: Own
- Purpose: Technical