Afshin graduated with PhD in Analytical Chemistry in 2013 from University of Tarbiat Modares (Tehran, Iran). His thesis was focused on synthesis and application of nanostructured metal oxides for supercaps. In 2014, he joined ECPU in Imdea Energy Institute, Madrid, as a Marie-Curie Research fellow, where he was involved in development of graphene-based nanocomposites in various energy storage applications. In 2018, he joined XRD platform in CIC energiGUNE as a postdoctoral researcher where he is employing advanced physical characterizations (e.g. small angle X-ray scattering) for tuning the materials performance for battery applications. He is coauthor of 21 high-impact factor publications (12 as the main author) with an H-index of 12. He co-supervised one PhD dissertation defended in 2019.
- Material engineering for energy storage applications
- Rechargeable batteries (metal-ion)
- In-situ and operando techniques for mechanistic studies
- X-ray diffraction and scattering techniques
- Heterogeneous electrocatalysis
- 2018 – Current: Postdoctoral Researcher, CIC energiGUNE, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
- 2016 – 2018: Postdoctoral Researcher, Electrochemical Processes Unit, Imdea Energy Institute, Madrid, Spain
- 2014 – 2016: Marie-Curie Postdoctoral Researcher, Electrochemical Processes Unit, Imdea Energy Institute, Madrid, Spain
- 2013 – 2014: Postdoctoral INIC fellow, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
- 2009 – 2013: PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
- 2007 – 2009: MSc in Analytical Chemistry, Tarbiat Modares University, Tehran, Iran
- Scripta Materialia Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2018.
- International Center for Diffraction Data (ICDD) Certificate in Recognition of Significant Contribution for A Diffraction Pattern, File-Release 2016
- Marie-Curie AMAROUT II Europe Fellowship, 2014 – 2016.
- Postoc Scholarship, Iranian Nanotechnology Initiative Council, 2013 – 2014.